Friday, July 6, 2007

Temperaments - Part 2


The four temperaments were originally proposed by Hippocrates (the "father of medical science") 350 years before the birth of Christ, to explain differences in personalities, based on the predominant bodily fluid—hence the rather unappealing names: choleric, sanguine, phlegmatic, and melancholic. Even today these same terms are used to describe temperament, by which we mean an individual's tendency to react in a certain way throughout their life, forming an identifiable pattern.

For example...
The choleric tends to react quickly and intensely, and to take action immediately and decisively- believing that he is always right.
The sanguine is your classic "people person," known for their warmth, enthusiasm, and cheerful optimism.
The melancholy is deeply thoughtful and analytic, slow to respond, skeptical, sensitive, somewhat idealistic and usually creative.
The phlegmatic is usually a "peace-maker"—slow to react, calm, cooperative, and reserved.

In the late 70’s (why do I feel the need to date myself like that) I read Tim Lahaye’s book "Spirit Controlled Temperament" and it clarified for me why I was so intense and so different from my husband. As a melancholy, details meant everything to me and since it meant so little to Ed, who is phlegmatic, I assumed that I was right and he was wrong. Of course, my goal was to change him. We both began to look at temperaments and discovered that we are pretty much opposites and that we could be very different and both be right. This was more important for me to learn than him. It was huge for us to finally understand HOW we were different – what made us react to life the way we did and then how we could work together to blend these two very different temperaments into a successful marriage. This may sound trivial to some, but for us it freed us both to be ourselves and allowed us to enjoy the process of understanding each other and appreciate who God made us to be.

One of the dangers of studying temperaments is allowing ourselves to make excuses for who we are - the “God made me this way so get used to it” mentality. For instance, I’m a melancholy – I need a plan – I need order- so of course I’m right and everyone else needs to follow suit mentality. The main purpose of identifying your temperament is to help clarify your strengths and your weaknesses- thank God for making you just the way you are and then allow Him to use your strengths in serving Him and obviously, through the Holy Spirit in our lives to minimize the weaknesses. It cannot be an excuse to justify our sin!

If learning about your temperament has helped you "get" yourself - has contributed to improving your relationship with your husband or has allowed you to see your chid's God-given bent, would you share that with us?

I'll be back soon with more on each specific temperament type.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

"Oh.. being a sanguine"(sigh)

I remember so clearly when we did our premarital counseling with Ed, and we discovered our temperaments.. what a mess! By "a mess" I mean, wondering how our two temperarments were going to rub eachother. Sam a Powerful Choleric and me a Sanguine, we noticed a majority of our arguments during that counseling time, were because of our new found knowledge of temperaments. We found our own identity as a reason to become even more prideful, and to defend our personal weaknesses. I was thankful when you encouraged me that the reason for this study was to learn how to strengthen your spouse, in the area that they are weak. Thank you Lord!

Today when we ran errands, I saw the book in the backseat of our car, and started reading it aloud to Sam. I flipped to the back of the book (Personality Plus)and read on how to help a sanguine. Sam and I laughed aloud when I read the line "Sanguines need help finishing projects, since they get excited about each new project, and usually don't finish the first." I remembered the guitar I got for my birthday that I still haven't learned, the complete sewing kit I asked for (in hopes to learn how to use) and I still haven't applied myself, and the 7 month old camera we invested in, that I still have not mastered! On top of all that, I told Sam last night that I wanted to join a club to start training for the Houston Marathon!!! I never thought I was that much of a sanguine, until I read that little passage today... now I'm convinced. =)
To anyone who hasn't learned about temperaments, in my personal opinion it is a wonderful tool on understanding others, and how to help them achieve their strengths.

Unknown said...

is it possible to be a little bit melancholy, a little bit sanguine and a little choleric?
i see parts of me in all of those.
i probably need to read the book...

is everyone supposedly predominantly more one than the others?

the fact that analyzing my own personality seems confusing and complex to me- what does that make me?
(its like taking a test...and tests make me nervous, i don't test well!)
am i a melanchosan?

Cindy Seay said...

Usually we are blend of temperaments with one dominant temperament. As we get older and as we grow in our walk with Christ we see our temperaments mellow a bit. Sometimes I think we feel a bit "schizo" but it at least helps understand where some of those feelings come from.
Melancholies definitely stress over taking the test because we want to answer perfectly and we want excellent results. We "overthink" everything! But, remember we are the ones who inspire vision and planning. Having a little choleric and a little sanguine can only make us better leaders and more fun to be around.
From one melancholy to another!

funny girl said...

I'm late jumping in. Lane is definitely phlegmatic (why does that have to sound so much like phlegm??) and I'm an odd combo of the other three. Our differences have been driving us nuts lately, and I think a brief study of our personalities is just what we need. Which book do you recommend?

Cindy Seay said...

The book is Personality Plus for Couples by Florence LIttauer. We would love to see you guys sometime.