Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Celebrate Life


Every day we have reason to be thankful for life but this past Saturday (July 14) is my personal anniversary to thank God for His gift of life.
On Wednesday, July 14, 1993, my daughter, Jennifer was admitted to Hermann Hospital to have brain surgery to remove a tumor from her pituitary gland. Jenn had had a long journey with many doctors, lab tests and MRI's before finally learning that there was a tumor in her head that was causing some of her problems. When we were given the diagnosis, we were told that some people chose not to have the surgery. When we told Jenn of the diagnosis she immediately said "I just want them to get it out of my head" We researched the surgery and God gave us a great surgeon. Jenn was convinced that it was the right thing to do. She was 18 - had just graduated from high school and she was the one that had to make the decision.
We arrived that morning feeling "prayed up" and ready to go. We have had many experiences with illness, surgeries and accidents with my children, but I was not totally prepared for this one. The idea that someone would cut into my daughter's brain was more than I could take. Being a nurse I knew exactly what they were going to do (I will spare you the details). When they took Jenn to the holding area they told me that because she was 18 she was not allowed to have a parent wait with her. I kissed her and walked away bravely so as not to upset her. I kept walking - bypassing the waiting room full of friends and family who had come to support us - and eventually ran to the bathroom where I fell apart. I found myself in a bathroom stall bargaining with God. I wrestled with God until I realized that what He really wanted me to do was to give Him my daughter and then trust Him. When I did that a peace that "passes all understanding" washed over me.
God was with her during the surgery - HE gave skills to the surgeon and brought healing to her body with great speed. We give Him glory for all of that. But on that day, 14 years ago, I gave my daughter to Him and with much gratitude to the Lord we can celebrate her life and ministry because of who HE is.

4 comments:

Hendrick Family said...

I'm celebrating with you. What would I do without my sweet friend?

God is so good and I praise Him for Jenn. He has done and continues to do beautiful things in her and through her.

And she's so stinkin' cute...huh! Look at her in that jean jacket!

Heather

Unknown said...

i remember visiting jenn after surgery...
wow, that was and continues to be a true miracle of God. i remember jenn sharing her testimony at church.
i can't fathom what you must have endured as a mother?
i have my own daughter now and its scary to think of what we might endure together in the future.
thank goodness God holds all that in His hands!
thanks for sharing your side of the story, cindy!
its good to remember what God has carried us through!
love you
liz

Jennifer Bacak said...

Wow Mom...thanks. The memories of that day are still powerful.
I remember them shipping me back to the surgery holding area, and me feeling about 5, in desperate need of my Mommy!
God has done a great thing, and I am grateful!
Thanks for being my super-Mom! I never could have made it through all of that, including the recovery, without you!
Love you!!!
jenn

Lori said...

I too celebrate life on July 14th as my son, Preston, was born on that day in 1998. I hope I never have to face what you did that day, Cindy, but pray that if and when I do I will remember that God is in control when I'm not. Thanks for your honesty! Lori Byrnes