Saturday, April 19, 2008

Is Chivalry Dead?


Chivalry: A Definition
1. Gallantry, courtesy and honor.
2. The noble qualities a knight was supposed to have, such as courage and a readiness to help the weak.
3. The demonstration of any of these qualities.

I have had several occasions lately in which a "knight in shining armor" would have been welcomed.
Recently at a picnic, I was folding, carrying and lifting 2 fairly heavy tables by myself. As I was doing this there were several men near me - watching me - and passing me... and none of them stopped to offer their assistance.
Yesterday I was in an elevator with one man. When the doors opened he barreled out of the elevator nearly knocking me down.
Last night I stopped at the dry cleaners to pick up clothes. I was ready to pull out of my parking place but had to wait while the man parked next to me put his clothes in his massive truck. He left both doors open and, not wanting to risk hitting him, I patiently waited. The man even looked my way at one point - I think he was looking to be sure I wasn't going to rip his truck doors off their hinges. Suddenly, he jumped in his truck and sped out of his parking place.
I sat there thinking - is chivalry completely dead? Is there no simple common courtesy?

I "googled" Chivalry and these are a few things I found...

Some women have been taught that displays of chivalry are demeaning and condescending, and men have come to believe that courtesy and respectful attitudes aren’t “manly.” I think it is time to realize that the 21st century needs a Code of Chivalry.

Anyone — men and women, teachers and coaches, students and soldiers, doctors and athletes — any one of us can be a knight in shining armor. And every one of us should be.

The code of chivalry is, at its heart, simply a handbook for good conduct. But chivalry was not a mandate from the powerful to the downtrodden, nor a directive from the chosen unto the masses. It was a set of limitations which the strong and mighty placed upon themselves with the realization that setting a good example sends a message which is far more powerful than any words on paper.

It seems that for some it is too late to teach them to be courteous and respectful, but it is not too late to teach our children.
This is not just a "male" thing, though I believe that men should hold doors for women, let them go in front of them, etc., etc.
This is about teaching our children to be kind - to consider others before themselves.

I pray that we will be raising a new generation of children that will put upon themselves a code of chivalry, setting an powerful example of kindness and respect.

Let's do our part in teaching our children and grandchildren.

1 comments:

Jennifer Bacak said...

I'm glad to know that my Dad, brothers, and husband would NEVER have done that Mom! I remember the boys having to open my door for me as practice at a young age. Good job Mom!
jenn