Monday, April 21, 2008

A Happy Heart!



This month I added a year to my life and, like many, I try to schedule all my "check-ups" around my birthday so I can remember them every year.
This year my dr. encouraged me to have a heart scan before coming in for my yearly exam. I have a fairly significant family history for heart disease and a genetic predisposition to high cholesterol ( I won't even start to tell you my mom's numbers). I have fought the high cholesterol thing since I was about 40. Because I am a "naturalist/alternative medicine" person I have resisted cholesterol-lowering drugs - much to my doctor's dismay. We have had a few serious conversations as I held fast to that conviction. So, before my appointment with the dr. I had a heart scan and I had by labs drawn to check my cholesterol levels.

I must admit that I was nervous about hearing those two reports. My dr. waltzed into the exam room and all but hugged me telling me that she had amazing news for me. My heart scan results were PERFECT and my cholesterol had dropped 100 points. Only those who closely watch their cholesterol can relate.

I have been on a sugar-free/yeast-free diet since Feb. 1 and it seems that this has affected my cholesterol drastically. Surprise!

Because I have few options for breakfast food, I eat oatmeal about 4 times a week. I think I will email Quaker Oats and tell them that I should be on one of their commercials promoting oatmeal as a heart healthy food.

Secrets to a happy heart - lose the sugar and bread and eat your oatmeal.

I feel like I've been given a new lease on life.

Here's to a happy heart!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. We're thrilled to hear our product helped.

Mark Schiller
President
Quaker Oats

Rusty and Jennifer said...

Not only do you have a healthy heart, but one of the biggest ones that I know! I am amazed at the amount of love you have to give!
I am glad to hear that all is well with your ticker. I plan on keeping you around for a lot longer!
P.S.
I am glad that you are in the habit of posting more! I have been missing your updates! Now, to start working on the adoption blog! :) I can give you about 100 topics, if you ever need an idea!

Cindy Seay said...

Send me your thoughts on the adoption blog. I'd love it.
I hope things are better with you.
love you,
cindy

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo! Keep it up!
Love,
Amy