Monday, August 20, 2007

Storm or No Storm - Here we come!


Yesterday we made our way to Galveston Island. It seemed like a safe decision as far as the hurricane goes. As we crossed the causeway there were lots of cars going the other direction - leaving the island. This would just leave more of the island for us.

I know that many people find Galveston beaches disgusting. I get a little defensive when people say bad things about Galveston. I am a native Houstonian (there aren't many of us around) and the only beach I knew growing up was Galveston. The beach is my "happy place". It doesn't matter that the sand is not white or that sea weed is abundant. I go for the beauty and sound of the waves and for the feel of the wind blowing off the water. I just love it! (yes, I have been to great beaches - Destin - Cayman - Jamaica)

Today we spent the day on the beach with Robbie and his kids and Chris and Lisa and their kids. It was an awesome day. The sky was blue - the breeze was nice - the waves were amazing (for Galveston). The kids went crazy on the boogie boards and it was just plain wonderful hanging out with my family. I love my family!

We finished up our family day at Rain Forest Cafe. This is not just a restaurant - it's an experience. You have to love the looks on the kids faces when the elephants and gorillas come alive. It was all topped off with the VOLCANO! If you haven't tried it you really should - brownies and ice cream with a sparkler on top.

I hope that you all have opportunities to simply stop and enjoy the important things in life - like family. I am a task-oriented person so I often find it hard to sit, relax and do nothing. Today I did nothing (except take pictures of my beautiful grandkids) and I was reminded of the importance of just being still in the moment - talking to my kids - enjoying the grandkids and living in the moment. Don't miss your opportunities!

2 comments:

Jennifer Bacak said...

Stinky. I don't like this post because now I know exactly what I was missing.
jenn

Cindy Seay said...

Sorry, babe. We really missed you guys. I hope Rusty had a good birthday!
i love you,
mom