Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Where is my trust?

I don't listen to the news. It is depressing and I find that if I allow it to settle in me - it leads me to fear.

Some say that I should be more informed - up on the latest information. Perhaps that is true. But, for now I am happy with my system.

So, even though I don't watch the news - there is evidence all around me of a rising fear of a depression. I have my moments that I begin to wonder and fear.

My March memory verse is "Some trust in chariots; some trust in horses, but I trust in the name of the Lord, my God." Psalm 20:7

Obviously we don't have horses or chariots, but we could fill in the blank... sometimes I trust in ________ and at other times I trust in __________. It is convicting for me to push myself to name the things that I trust.

As I study the names of God this verse becomes even more powerful - to trust in the name of the Lord is to trust in who He is... Elohim, our creator; El Elyon, our sovereign God; El Roi, the God who sees; El Shaddai, our all-sufficent God; Jehovah-Jireh, the God who provides.

I could go on and on but today let's take time to trust in who God is and resist trusting in our chariots and horses.

2 comments:

Doug and Claudia said...

Absolutely right on! Sometimes I have to go on a "news fast" because it gets to be too much! I don't watch TV but I do read the news...sometimes more than I should.

The name of the Lord IS a strong tower :-)

Anonymous said...

Cindy - dear friend, thank you for your honesty. It helped me so today reading your heart. Just two nights ago, for the first time ever, I had to emotionally turn off a TV show I've watched from the beginning. As a nurse, I know you may not understand this, but the trauma of the hospital on Grey's brought my heart to racing and the fear I could feel was setting in. That voice in me said, "just don't go there, turn it off"...so I did. My night was thereafter, wonderful!

In a wonderful sermon series on satanic warfare I'm listening to now by Chip Ingram out of Atlanta, I'm being reminded strongly that demonic forces are as real as this chair I sit in, and as close as my breath. We know that Satan can and will use our minds to deceive as the first place of attack.

Keep strong and in the Word! Whatever happens in this world, we know He is in control and WE WIN!!!