Friday, January 2, 2009

2009: The Year of __________


Fill in the blank.

It's January 2 and we have a clean slate - a blank page. We can make it what we choose to make it. It is a new beginning.

My blank looks like this.

2009: The Year of the Word.
I am resolving to read the Bible through this year. I am also committed to memorize scripture this year. I will have a new scripture on my blog every 2-3 weeks. Join me and let's help each other. Let me know if you will be a part of hiding God's Word in your hearts this year. We can do this together. You are never too old. My two oldest grandaughters will be joining me via email.

2009: The Year of balance.
My life is almost always crazy busy. I wear too many hats and have too many commitments. People say to me "how do you do all that you do?" and then I feel good about all that I do (in a crazy way). And then I don't have time to be in the Word the way I need to be - I don't have time to cook dinner for my husband - I don't have time to just sit and BE - I don't have time to hang out with my kids - I don't have time to have my grandkids spend the night - I don't have time to take a long bath or read a book or watch a movie.

For several months God has been doing some serious work in me. It has been hard. I am a multi-tasker who enjoys serving and I don't give up anything easily. For these past few months God has been prying my hands open.
He is saying to me - Stop - Be still - Know Me - Rest in ME. If you know me, you know that I don't sit well.

So... this year I will surrender. I will open my hands to Him. God has a balance for my life that I have not achieved in a long time. This will not be easy for me. I will be tempted to continue in my crazy lifestyle. Please feel free to make me accountable.

Life for most people has been accelerating and moving out of control. It is time to return to simplicity. Slow down - shed some of the extra things that keep our families on the run all the time. Turn off the TV - sit and talk with your kids - play games - pray together - read the Word together. Stop running from sport to sport - lesson to lesson. Allow yourself and your family to breathe and BE.

I pray that we will allow ourselves to trust in the Lord with all our hearts and that we will not lean on our own understanding. But In EVERYTHING we do we will acknowledge God and allow HIM to direct our paths.

Happy New Year!

1 comments:

Jennifer Bacak said...

I'm excited about this Mom. I will do Hide it in your Heart along with you.
I'm excited about your year of Balance...I will ask you about it. I want to see Balanced Mom!
Love you tons!!!!
jenn